Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Nothing!

So there I was, writing in my journal when my pen ran out of ink. I took off the tip to change the cartridge and the tip of the pen fell on the floor. Actually, I think it fell into a black hole because I searched and I searched, and even used a flashlight, and I simply could not find it. And it happens to be my favorite pen. Then I noticed that I was really upset about losing the use of that pen.

Once I realized how upset I was, I made a resolution to let go, reminding myself that my happiness and well-being does not depend on the possession of a particular fountain pen.

Then I opened my book of Steven Taylor’s meditations (“The Calm Center”) and read the following title for the next page in the book:

Can you be happy with nothing? (!!!!!)

And I chuckled. And a moment of frustration quickly turned into a moment of mirth. And gratitude.

Part of the meditation says

                “. . . you can be happy with nothing.
                There’s a happiness that has no cause
                that doesn’t come from consuming or collecting.”

And after all of this, it wasn’t difficult for me to access my happiness that depended on nothing.

I looked in the drawer of my desk for a replacement pen, and discovered that I have so many pens collected in that drawer that I never have to go and buy another pen for the rest of my life!


God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment