Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Monday, December 28, 2015

God's will is actually God's care for us.

Since this is the last Reflection I will be offering you this year, I want to leave you with something that might add a new dimension to your relationship with the Lord.

I had a conversation with a friend yesterday. My friend is going through a particularly difficult time in his life and he told me that he was having a hard time “finding and accepting God’s will in all of this.” And it occurred to me that sometimes it might not be particularly helpful to think of things in terms of God’s will—because more often than not, we tend to shy away from His will, or find it somewhat threatening or foreboding, assuming that God is expecting or demanding something difficult or unpleasant that we have to “toughen up” and accept with resignation.

The more I thought about this, the more it seemed to me that it might be better to think not of God’s will but rather of God’s care. God cares for me. I have had signs all through my life of the many special ways in which he has indeed cared for me, and even in the most trying and difficult times of all, there he was, taking care of me. Sometimes that caring may bring us through troubles and trials and difficulties of all sorts, but we always emerge, somehow blessed and well cared for.

Think of that, will you? That through the circumstances of your life, right here and right now, God is indeed caring for you and all you have to do is let go and let Him do His work in your life.

I remember a time when I lost a friend, and was grieving that loss, when I came upon an intriguing quote: “Sometimes God removes a person from our lives in order to protect us.” Meditating on that quote, I realized that the loss I was suffering was actually the result of God’s direct care for me. And as time went by, I began to realize that the friend I lost was actually toxic for me, and I was so much freer and better off once the friendship had come to an end.

I also remember wanting something desperately, and praying earnestly that God would allow it to happen, and it didn’t happen. It took a little while before I could actually begin to understand that his refusal to grant my request actually turned out to be an incredible blessing in my life.

How about you? Might this notion of God’s care for you help you to process whatever it is that may be happening in your life? And think of that this Christmas, that God sent His Son into the world so that through Jesus Christ He might best care for us all, each and every moment of our lives, and even beyond the span of our earthly lives.

May the blessings and the care of Christmas be yours in abundance this year. God bless you all.

Fr. Bede

No comments:

Post a Comment