Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Friday, December 18, 2015

You are loved, no matter what

The Book of Consolation: Isaiah 43:1-4

Before I entered the monastery, I worked for a man who wasn’t very nice. I’m not going to say more about that, because I have forgiven that man a long time ago.

One day I was preparing to meet with him to tell him that I was planning to enter a monastery and that I wouldn’t be working for the company much longer. I was very nervous about this conversation and, as I remember it, I was pacing back and forth in my office and rehearsing exactly what it was that I wanted to say.

Along came a co-worker who knew what I was about to do. He stopped before my door and said just two words to me: “Isaiah forty-three” and then he went his way.

I went to my briefcase and took out my Bible (the very one I’m reading from as I write this) and looked up what Isaiah 43 had to say. This is what I found:

Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name, you are mine.
When you pass through the waters I will be with you;
and through rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
and the flame shall not consume you.
For I am the Lord your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.
. . .
Because you are precious in my eyes,
and honored, and I love you.

Take those words to heart because He is speaking to you as well. No matter what mistakes you may have made, no matter what you think of yourself in your self-critical moments, no matter what you own particular story of weakness and failure or want and need, those words are for you: You are precious in His eyes, and honored and He loves you.

The conversation I ended up having was very difficult and did not go well. But it was true: the waters did not overwhelm me and I did not get burned. I passed through, just as I have passed through every challenge and difficulty that my own life has brought me.

And still, I sometimes have to work to open my heart enough to hear those words and to believe them: “You are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you.” And yet he proves it to me again and again, time after time, no matter what may be going on.

And so I leave this passage to you as a pre-Christmas gift. God bless you.

The next reflection will be on Sunday, December 20.


No comments:

Post a Comment