Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Tuesday, July 26, 2016

How great is God's capacity to forgive?

I’m happy to be returning to Reflections after a wonderful, restful, inspiring and beautiful vacation and tour of four major Canadian cities: Toronto, Ottowa, Montréal, and Québec.

This morning before Mass I was sitting in our cloister garden and savoring the peace and beauty that was all around me. No one else was present, and there were (thankfully) no noises from outside the monastery. My prayers were of gratitude, of mercy, and of intercession, especially for all the people in the world who are suffering from this demonic rash of senseless violence extending throughout the world. I was aware of just how many people there are in the world who never have an opportunity to sit and simply savor silence and beauty, and also how many people there are, myself included, who have access to such environments but often take them for granted or even ignore them because they think they have more pressing concerns.

I prayed that those who do not know the silence and beauty that the monastery affords, may, even for just a tiny moment, experience some of what I was experiencing this morning before the bells rang for Mass.

Silence and beauty: are they luxuries or necessities? And what happens to us when there are taken from us, or when we are forced to live in an environment where these things aren’t even available? Could there be any connection between that and all the violence in our world? I certainly don’t know for sure, but these are things worth wondering about.

Can it be possible to live in your world in a way that you can opt for silence? Again, just wondering.

My entire day wasn’t peaceful, however. Shortly after Mass I learned that in a tiny village in France, and 84-year-old-priest was assassinated by two ISIS fanatics while he was saying Mass. And so the violence continues.

Assassinating a priest (reports say he was beheaded) while he is saying Mass. The assassins were killed by the police. At first I thought that surely they must be writhing in hell. But then . . . I recalled the peace I had enjoyed this morning, me a sinner, given such beautiful gifts, and I wonder . . . could God’s mercy be so great and unfathomable, as Pope Francis teaches us, that even they would be forgiven what they had done?

After all, does anyone in this world really have God’s permission to draw the line between mercy and punishment?

What do you think?


God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment