Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Wednesday, July 6, 2016

The sometimes secret benefactor

The first reading for today’s Mass:

Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk, who took them in my arms; I drew them with human cords, with bands of live; I fostered them  like one who raises an infant to his cheeks; Yet, though I stooped to feed my child, they did not know that I was their healer. (Hosea 11:3-4)

This is one of the most personable and intimate readings of the Old Testament, this story of the relationship between God and His people. And yet, at the same time, it is the story of the relationship between God and between you and me.

Consider, if you will, the gentleness and love and encouragement it takes to teach a child to walk. And what happens when the child falls? Is that perhaps the way you God wants to treat you and you fall?

God says, “I drew them with human cords.” Think of all the humans who have aided you in your journey to God. More often than not, you are led be friends and mentors, guides and witnesses, not by some kind of awesome and terrifying storm and thunder from on high.

“I drew them with bonds of love.” Have you found that true for you? Perhaps not. Perhaps it has taken something more exacting than bonds of love. What has been your situation?

“I stooped to feed my child.” Every day, in so many ways, for we need to be fed frequently. Personally, I like to read these words as a reference to the Eucharist, when the Lord Jesus actually stoops down to the altar to feed us.

“They did not know that I was their healer.” How often is it, I wonder, that we haven’t been able to see the hand of God operating in our lives when it was actually present. In how many ways have we been healed, and still need more healing?


Think on these things if you will. God bless you!

Please note that I will be on vacation from July 9 until July 22 or 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment