Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Things that hurt the soul and spirit.

These lines are from a hymn we sang this morning at Morning Prayer:

Lord, make our hearts and bodies whole
lest earth’s enticements snare the soul.
Lest anger wound our inmost parts,
resentment hurt our fragile hearts.     (From a 6th Century hymn translated by Thomas Cooper)

Three points:
1.       There is an unavoidable connection between materialism or the search for pleasure on the one hand, and the health of the soul on the other hand. Pope Francis has had a lot to say about this over the past year.
2.       Anger is toxic and destructive, inflicting the spirit of the one who hangs on to anger. Even if no one else is hurt by my anger, I am hurting myself both spiritually and physically.
3.       The same thing goes for resentments, which are actually subtle forms of anger.  I have found that taking time every now and then to list people and situations that I resent and then asking the Lord to heal the resentment does me a lot of good. Unacknowledged resentments can be like a hidden cancer consuming the better parts of our nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment