Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Wednesday, April 12, 2017

He got to you first!

Wednesday, April 12, 2017
All of our spiritual aspirations, desires and hopes are implanted in us by God and are the result of the Spirit’s activity in our own souls before we were awakened to the reality of our life in God. All is God. All is the activity of the Trinity working in us, of the God “in whom we have our being.”
The monastic father John Cassian reminds us that it is God’s intention that we be united to him and is expressed in Jesus’ “high priestly prayer” in John 17:

So we shall arrive at the goal of which we spoke and which the Lord desires for us in this prayer of his: ‘that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and thou in me, that they may become perfectly one.’ (John 17:22-23). ‘Father I desire that they also whom thou hast given me, may be with me where I am’ (John 17:24). in ClĂ©ment, p. 211

I happened to come upon a Sufi account which helps make this relationship with God clear and precise:

At the beginning I was mistaken in four respects. I sought to remember god, to know Him to love Him, and to seek Him. when I had come to the end, I saw that He had remembered me before I remembered Him, that His knowledge of me had preceded my knowledge of Him, His love toward me had existed before my love to Him, and He had sought me before I sought Him.


I’ve said it before and I repeat it now: In whatever way you may be reaching out to God, especially during these days of Holy Week, know that God is already reaching out to you in greater measure and has planted your yearning for him within you. This is what He wants for you. Let the readings and prayers of Holy Week drive that message home for you this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment