Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Friday, August 18, 2017

Most truly myself

Friday, August 18, 2017

I have come to discover that
I am most truly myself when I am not
My-Self.
The truest aspect of my being
is that which resides
in the deep silence,
beneath emotions, passions,
fears, regrets,
past and future,
the desire to plan ahead,
or to reproach what has gone before.
When I am able to reach
that quiet realm where I rest in God,
I experience a freedom
which can sustain me throughout the day.
Most often, I experience this freedom
in fleeting moments,
because all the stuff of my egoic life
tries to crowd out the silence
and tries to convince me how
significant and important it really is,
and how deserving my attention.
Futile, fleeting flights of fancy
are these thoughts.
It is best to let them pass through
without leaving any residue,
and to return to the breath
which will lead me back
to blessed silence
and divine reality.

God bless you! Have a nice weekend.

I will be on vacation next week, so I won’t guarantee that I will post every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment