Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Monday, November 23, 2015

A pre-Thanksgiving fantasy

The poor widow put two copper coins into the temple treasury and we are told that she gave away all that she had.

We have so much, and we would find it nearly impossible to give away everything that we had, just like the good young man who went away sadly from the Lord because he was rich and the Lord had encouraged him to sell everything and give the proceeds to the poor.

But could we give away just one small thing? Would it be possible to do that today? In the monastery we have a place where we can leave clothing to be distributed to the poor. I imagine that today I am going to sacrifice one piece of clothing for that collection. But what will I sacrifice? Will it be an old piece of clothing that I haven’t worn in years? Or might it be something that I like and that I wear often? The thought is difficult; giving away something that I use and like would be like tearing something away from my personhood, and find that in reaction to the thought of giving it away is to want to cling to it more tenaciously than ever. No, this is a silly idea. I think I will let it pass.

It is so difficult for we who have so much to separate ourselves from what we have. In a sense, I think it is true that what we have actually owns us rather than the other way around.

But imagine this: Imagine that you have indeed given away everything, keeping nothing back. And imagine that you are going to have to depend on God completely for anything else you need today. Is your faith strong enough to believe that you will be given what you need? Or would you tremble in panic?

And yet, even in the midst of so much opulence, at the very bottom of it all, it is God who gives us what we need when we need it---and realize that those needs are not necessarily material.

But God does supply all our needs, and the things that we think we need that have not been given are things which God knows we really do not need, or that God knows would end up being no good for us. This reminds me of a saying I once heard: “If you want to have what you need, then take delight in what you have.


And so here are a few rambling thoughts that might help us prepare spiritually for Thanksgiving when it occurs later this week in the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment