Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Friday, November 20, 2015

The "not-so-good" is important, too.

I had my daily practice session at the organ earlier today, and I must say that it wasn’t a good day. In fact, it was downright stinky. Sour notes all over the place, and it seemed like my fingers had minds of their own and were going off in directions they shouldn’t have been taken. Pieces I usually play with ease suddenly were filled with obstacles; in some cases it seemed like I have never ever practiced those pieces before.

And yet, I trudged on, and put in my time, even though thing weren’t going right. Years ago I would have simply walked away from the organ discouraged and frustrated, but not now. Now I just trudge along. What makes the difference?

The difference is that I’ve come to realize that sometimes we have to get through the stinky times in order to get to the good ones. And, as any creative person will tell you, sometimes we have to make bad art before we can make good art. In fact, the “down times” (such as what I had today) are actually a necessary and even vital part of the process. You don’t get to the good without suffering through the not-so-good when it comes along, time and time again, knowing that everything has its contribution to the process and that nothing can be done to run away or prevent ourselves squeezing through what we have to in order to get to the end.

This a symbol for the spiritual life as well. God leads us through it all, and as we grow older, we begin to discover that God uses everything, even those parts of our lives that we’d rather not remember.


All is in process. All is in God’s hands. And, ultimately, no matter what the path may be like, if we walk it with faith and endure it with patience, it will all lead back to God.

The next reflection will be on Sunday, November 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment