Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Unmanageable?

Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me.

Yesterday we noted how it is a good antidote to pride to acknowledge the fact that we, as individuals, are in need of pity. This is very similar to what happens in 12-step programs where the first step is for an individual to admit a personal powerlessness over a particular problem or addiction and that because of this, his or her life has become unmanageable.

Note that many spiritual writers have suggested that working through the 12 steps is a worthwhile spiritual exercise for anyone, addict or not. In this sense, it would be good to apply the first of the 12 steps to each of the deadly sins.

Today I offer some simple notions about how we are all victims of pride (and in fact, might even want to consider pride to be our personal addiction):

·         Pride makes us blind to our own imperfections and limitations.
·         Pride causes us to dwell on ourselves and to ignore other peoples’ needs.
·         My pride hurts others, to be sure, but it also hurts me.
·         Sometimes I don’t contribute to the good of the community, family, parish or cohort of workers because I think they’re beneath me.
·         Because of my pride, I don’t seek to learn from others.
·         Because of my pride, I don’t take advice, so I fail to develop my gifts and talents.
·         My pride makes it impossible for me to be a “team player.”
·         Pride changes leadership into tyranny.
·         Pride makes friendships impossible or intolerable.


Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment