Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Monday, November 2, 2015

All Souls' Day: Why we pray for the dead

I have my own personalized way of explaining the necessity of a final purification after death, and why it is important for us to pray for the dead. I offer it here for what it is worth.

Let’s start with a question: If you were to die tonight in your sleep, are you ready to enter heaven and the presence of God completely purified without any stain or blemish, with all things settled in your life? Are you completely reconciled to the people in your life? Are you free from your weaknesses and from your failings? Are all of your sins forgiven and are you free from the burden of guilt that we all carry with us for whatever reasons there may be?

You were created in the image and likeness of God (see posts from June 2014 for more discussion of this). Is that image clear and clean and spotless?

Or do you need more time?

That, in a nutshell, is my explanation.


If I die tonight, please pray for me. I’d appreciate it and I know I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment