Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Thursday, March 24, 2016

God touches the stinky parts.

Holy Thursday 2016

[Jesus,] . . . fully aware . . . that He had come from God and was returning to God . . .

And so, he took a towel and washed the feet of his disciples, giving them an example to follow: If I, therefore, the master and teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash one another’s feet. I have given you a model to follow, so that as I have done for you, you should also do.

Take care of each other. Go to the weakest and dirtiest part of the human person and cleanse it. Do not shy away, and certainly do not think you are above such a task because your Lord and Master did it Himself to set an example.

Feet stink. And there are things about you and me that also stink, in a metaphorical way. God gets to that part of us and cleanses it and heals it and makes it beautiful and fragrant. It might seem that we cannot manage to do that for one another because we ourselves are not God, do not have that power, and are too weak and stinky ourselves. But we must always remember that God works through us. Sometimes, oftentimes perhaps, we are not doing the work but God is doing it in us and through us.

So what possible advice can I offer to you this day?

First of all, remember that, like Jesus, you have come from God and are returning to God. Keep that at the forefront of your prayer, and keep it in mind whenever you feel yourself weakening.

Secondly, be willing to endure or be patient with the stinky part of others. I remember the other day someone did something that really annoyed me. I was beginning to get angry but I said the Jesus Prayer, and all of a sudden I realized that the person did what she did out of her own need and out of her own brokenness. And so I was able to understand, and be patient rather than angry, compassionate rather than annoyed. And I know well that God was doing that work in me, and that in the process He was healing me as well.

Finally, remember that John tells the story of the washing of the feet in the place where Matthew, Mark and Luke talk about the institution of the Eucharist (Matthew 26:26-29; Mark 14:22-25; Luke 22:33-34). John’s Gospel is a lot later than the others, and he writes at a time when the Christians needed to be reminded of the connection between the Eucharist and their role as servants to one another. And that charge is given to us as well, weak and feeble and ambivalent though we may be. Just remember again, you have come from God and are returning to God. Stay open to the Lord’s grace at all times, and, when necessary, get out of His way so that he can use you to wash feet.

God bless you.


PS: Over the next three days, you would do well to re-read the Gospel of John, chapters 14 – 17. You will find in it things you have never seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment