Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Wednesday, March 23, 2016

We need to go through the pain.

Wednesday of Holy Week

This morning I had a chance to meet with a group of people, not all of them Christian, who were living difficult and troubled lives, and who were struggling to keep their heads above water. My heart when out to them and I admired their courage and their willingness to speak from the heart directly and sincerely and without any need to put up a good front or to “look good.”

Several of them spoke about having the feeling from time to time that they welcomed death as a release from their pain and suffering, and how at some times they felt like they were at “the end of their ropes” and had little or no energy to keep going on. What could I possibly say to them?

I decided to take a plunge and talk about Holy Week despite the variety of religious traditions present in the room. I gave a brief description, trying to keep it as “secular” as possible because this was not a setting where I could preach or proselytize. They knew I was a priest, and so that fact spoke enough to them. So: what to say?

Finally, this is what I said, and I give thanks to the Holy Spirit for guiding my words because I wasn’t really sure what to say: “Basically, the observance of Holy Week and Easter is like going through a process. It’s meaning is that it is by pressing through pain that we end up on the other side and win the victory and the cessation of suffering.” And that is all I had to say. Several of the people in the room looked like I had just revealed a great secret to them that they had never discovered before. I didn’t need to say any more.

When I reviewed the Gospel for today’s Mass (Matthew 26:14-25) I recognized our Lord in already in pain. It was the Passover Supper—the final night He would be with His disciples. On some level he knew what was to come, but there He was in a room surrounded by friends, in a room where one might suppose there was a great deal of love and devotion, and despite all that he had to come face to face with his betrayer who would soon leave the room and go about his nasty business.

This Gospel passage sets before us one of the many “Stations of Pain” that the Lord has to experience on His own way to Calvary, through death, and then to glorified Resurrection and victory. This year, as I enter the Holy Week process, I will remember in a special way the precious men and women I had spoken with this morning, along with all the other suffering people in the world whose lives contain more pain than joy at this time in our troubled history.


May the Lord of life be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment