Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Where you are weakest, there is God

“You know, Father, my life is going along pretty well. I’m trying to lead a virtuous life and in almost every area, thank God, I’m succeeding. But there is this one thing. A weakness I have. I’m tempted so often to give in to it, and sometimes, I must confess, I do, and then immediately hate myself afterwards. And it’s then that I feel so far from God and feel that He might actually give up on me. I try so hard, but I just can’t overcome it.”

How would you answer him?

I’ll tell you what I had to say: “You’re talking about the weakest part of your life, the most negative thing you have going on, this one thing that overtakes everything else and makes you feel  not worthy of God any more. But don’t you see? It is at that particular point—at that one area where you are most helpless and most weak, that God comes to be with you and shower you with his love and compassion. That is what he does for you, for me, for all of us.”

And I say to you: Don’t be afraid of those dark and weak parts of your life. Don’t think you have to get rid of them or get them fixed in order for God to love you. God accepts everything---every single aspect of our being, the negative as well as the positive, and where we are weakest, that is where his grace (and by grace I mean love and compassion and forgiveness) is strongest.

And do you know what else? In some way that will one day be clear to you, God will use everything in your life for His own good purposes. That’s right. Everything. Just think of King David, the inspired poet who gave us the Psalms, many of which are love poems to God. At the weakest point in his life he was guilty of adultery and murder. And he finally admitted his guilt (see the reflection a while back about Psalm 51), and he was punished for it, but God did not give  up on him. And he will not give up on your or me, either.

By the way, I’m reading a wonderful book called Things Hidden: scripture as spirituality by Richard Rohr. That book inspired today’s reflection, and I suspect you’ll be hearing more about it as time goes by. But if you’re looking for some good spiritual reading for Lent, this might be just what you’re looking for.


God bless you. In your strength and in your weakness.

No comments:

Post a Comment