Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Wednesday, January 18, 2017

God always wins in the end

Wednesday, January 18, 2017
Yesterday I wrote about St. Antony of Egypt and how he was besieged by demons during his time alone in the desert, and how the demons disguised themselves as gruesome beasts or alluring images. I suggested that we might view our own personal “demons” or temptations in the same way.

Shortly after I wrote and posted that reflection it was time for Noon Prayer here in the monastery. I opened to the first psalm of the day, psalm 7, and the first stanza sounded like it had come from St. Antony’s cave, or from the heart of anyone besieged by temptations and trouble. Here it is:

O Lord, my God, I take refuge in you.
Save and rescue me from all my pursuers,
lest they tear me apart like a lion,
and drag me off with no one to rescue me.*

There are other passages in the psalms where the enemies of our souls are described as ravenous beasts. Psalm 22 is filled with such imagery. This is the psalm that scholars say Jesus prayed while he was hanging on the cross, and so the psalm represents His prayer during His agony. It can also be a metaphor for the lesser agonies that we suffer in our lives, and can remind us to unite our own sufferings to His.

Many bulls have surrounded me,
fierce bulls of Bashan close me in.
Against me they open wide their mouths,
like a lion,  rending and roaring. (Ps 22:13-14)

For dogs have surrounded me;
a band of the wicked besets me.
They tear holes in my hands and my feet. (Ps 22:17)

Rescue my soul from the sword,
my life from the grip of the dog.
Save my life from the jaws of the lion,
my poor soul from the horns of wild bulls. (Ps 22:21-22)

It is important to remember that while Jesus was suffering these torments, He was on His way to a destiny that involves his ultimate triumph over these beasts in the Resurrection. And it is also comforting to note that elsewhere in the psalms, cries of lament and misery are always answered by the saving help of the Lord. Ultimately, he does not leave us alone in our misery. His love always prevails over what besieges us. Thanks be to God!

God bless you!

*All the psalm verses quoted today are from the Revised Grail Psalm Translation, © 2010 Conception Abbey/The Grail.



No comments:

Post a Comment