Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Monday, January 23, 2017

Life in the womb

Monday, January 23, 2017
Day of Prayer for the Legal Protection of Unborn Children

Interestingly enough, the Entrance Antiphon for today’s Mass is “For the sake of your name, O Lord, give me life,” and I imagined this antiphon being prayed by an unborn child in its mother’s womb.

I have always relied on three scriptural texts that I interpret as signs that life begins with conception. Here they are:

Psalm 71:6 
On you I have leaned from my birth;
from my mother’s womb, you have been my help.

Psalm 139:13
For it was you who formed my inmost being,
knit me together from my mother’s womb.

And the third, and most important, text comes from the Gospel of Luke, the story of the Visitation, when Mary, pregnant with Jesus, goes to visit Elizabeth, pregnant with John the Baptist, and Elizabeth greets her, crying out: The moment your greeting sounded in my ears, the baby leapt in my womb for joy. (Luke 1:44).

One last observation: no matter what, we must always heed the strong admonition pronounced by Jesus: do not judge. (Matthew 7:1) It is an “occupational hazard” for those who are passionate about this cause to jump to judgment, but that is something we must never do.  Here is a compassionate statement made by Archbishop Joseph E. Kurtz, Archbishop of Louisville:

“This is the 44th year that I have prayed to be a protector, humble and yet bold—walking with a mother so in need as to consider not giving birth.”

Again a reminder that we never know the state of a person’s soul, nor do we know, understand or appreciate the burdens that another person may be carrying. In all things, we must be compassionate.


God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment