Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Friday, January 20, 2017

You don't have to deserve it.

Friday, January 20, 2017
In today’s Gospel, the Letter to the Hebrew speaks of the new covenant and quotes the prophecy of Jeremiah (Jer 31:31-34):

Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant which I made with their fathers when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant which they broke, though I was their husband, says the Lord. But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it upon their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And no longer shall each man teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, says the Lord; for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. (Jer 31:31-14, quoted in Heb 8:8-12)

At the Last Supper, the Lord will speak of this new covenant, calling it the New Covenant in my Blood as he establishes the Eucharist as an everlasting gift to us, a gift which renews itself every time the Mass is celebrated.

This Covenant is a gift of love to us, a work of grace. And it takes the usual formulas of merit and worthiness and turns them right up on their heads.

The work of grace is freely given, and is given without restriction, given to all. It is no longer a question of worthiness, or merit or anything of that sort. As one spiritual writer once said, “love isn’t something we have to deserve or earn or measure up to. God’s love for us isn’t something we have to deserve or earn or measure up to. It just is. It just is.”

Sometimes we feel so unworthy to receive this gift. One person once confided to me:  I don’t deserve to be treated like someone I’m not. I feel like is Love is trying to put me on a pedestal when I actually belong down in the dirt. I’m not good enough. I DON’T DESERVE IT.
But what this covenant ushers in is a whole new way of being. It’s not a question of worthiness. It’s not something that has to be deserved. There isn’t anything you have to do to make yourself worthy of it.

The old formula that resembles an accountants spread sheet sheet with “=” signs and +’s and –“s is overturned here. And yet still, some people try to approach their religion with the old formula and it makes them miserable. Are you one of those people? If so, get rid of that old thinking and accept God’s way of thinking.

The love God wishes to pour out on us is so powerful that it is changing us if we will allow it to. None of the past matters any more. Just the present. An eternal present in which not only are our sins forgiven, but they are not even remembered.

Rest in this reality and be especially aware of it this weekend when you go to receive the Eucharist.


God bless you! Have a nice weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment