Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Tuesday, March 28, 2017

A helpful mantra

Tuesday, March 28, 2017
Hide me in the shelter of your wings, till the storms of destruction pass by. (Psalm 57:2. My paraphrase.)

This is a helpful verse to learn by heart and repeat frequently.

When you’re trying to meditate but distractions keep assailing you: Hide me in the shelter of your wings, till the storms of destruction pass by.

When faced with temptation: Hide me in the shelter of your wings, till the storms of destruction pass by.

When troubled by an old memory: Hide me in the shelter of your wings, till the storms of destruction pass by.

When you catch yourself thinking unkind thoughts about another person: Hide me in the shelter of your wings, till the storms of destruction pass by.

When someone breaks a piece of your equipment (this happened to me today): Hide me in the shelter of your wings, till the storms of destruction pass by

When there is chaos and noise all around you and you are craving a moment of quiet: Hide me in the shelter of your wings, till the storms of destruction pass by. (I have used this verse on a crowded subway train.)

When at a contentious meeting and you are seeking some distance from the fray so you can regain perspective: Hide me in the shelter of your wings, till the storms of destruction pass by.

When you need to take a “three-second retreat”: Hide me in the shelter of your wings, till the storms of destruction pass by.

When anxious, frustrated, discouraged, fearful: Hide me in the shelter of your wings, till the storms of destruction pass by.

When anger is about to get the better of you: Hide me in the shelter of your wings, till the storms of destruction pass by.

When you need to remind yourself that God is taking care of you at all times: Hide me in the shelter of your wings, till the storms of destruction pass by.

When lonely: Hide me in the shelter of your wings, till the storms of destruction pass by.  (Remember that you are never less alone than when you’re alone with God.)

Might I suggest that you use this verse as a mantra for a few hours or even a whole day, repeating it as often as you can, especially when walking from place to place. You will be pleased with the effect it produces in your spirit.

God bless you!



No comments:

Post a Comment