Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Tuesday, March 14, 2017

The Longing for God (part one)

Tuesday, March 14, 2017
The Longing for God, part one

Deep within us
there is a longing for God.

It is buried beneath many lesser things,
beneath cares and anxieties and worries,
beneath hopes and dreams and plans and projects,
beneath joy and sorrow, happiness and misery,
beneath all that happens to us and all that we cause to happen.

It remains within. It is eternal. It seeks to be satisfied,
but cannot be satisfied
with what isn’t eternal,
with what is merely ephemeral,
or with what is trivial or distracting.

Psalm 42: “Like the deer that yeans
for running streams,
so my soul is yearning
for you, my God.
My soul is thirsting for God,
the living god;
when can I enter and appear
before the face of God?”

Psalm 63: “O God, you are my God: at dawn I seek you;
for you my soul is thirsting.
For you my flesh is pining,
like a dry, weary land without water.”

No matter what may delight, excite or thrill us,
we will never be satisfied
until we are in touch with this longing.
(Not that we find God as much as we seek after Him.)

Rule of Saint Benedict 58.7:
The concern must be whether the novice truly seeks God.

The Song of Songs
Upon my bed at night
I sought him whom my soul loves:
I sought him, but found him not.

. . .

Spend quiet time before God.
Seek Him; long for Him, desire Him
as one desires the arrival of the Beloved.

And if you do this, you will discover
that it was He Who was seeking you all along.

to be continued . . .


God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment