Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Friday, March 10, 2017

The Transience of all things

Friday, March 10, 2017
I am sorry I missed posting a reflection yesterday; I was ill.
I was ill and the illness passed and is no more.
All things are transient. All pass and are no more, except for God.
The Trinity is the one, lasting, enduring reality, and we are called to rest in that reality.

This is so difficult for us, because we are so attached to things that are transient.
Do you remember that possession you had many years ago, the one that gave you so much pleasure?
Where is it now?
Do you remember that great concern you had, so many years ago, that cost you sleepless nights?
It is still a concern?
Can you recognize the current trial as something that is going to pass away?
If you can, you have gained mastery even within the trial,
and if you continue to honor its transient nature, you will gain freedom.

Poets speak of these things so eloquently, so often with simple images.
Rainer Marie Rilke:
                All that is hurrying
                soon will be over with;
                only what lasts can bring
                us to the truth.

another of his:
                . . . a billions stars go spinning through the night,
blazing high above your head.
but in you is the presence that
will be, when all the stars are dead.

And Walt Whitman:
People I meet . . . the effect upon me of my early life . . .
The latest news . . . discoveries, inventions, societies
. . . My dinner, dress, associates, looks, . . .
The sickness of one of my folks—or of myself . . . or ill-doing . . . or loss or lack of money . . . . or depressions or exaltations,
These come to me days and nights and go from me again,
But they are not the Me myself.

And our scriptures:
                Jesus Christ: heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.

Colossians 3:2  If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.


God bless you! Have a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment