Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Monday, May 8, 2017

Jesus "includes"

Monday, May 08, 2017
The readings for Mass today are from Acts 11:1-18 and John 10:11-18. I’d like to reflect on the readings in reverse order.

In the Gospel passage, Jesus makes a prediction which comes true in the passage from Acts. (Now it is important to realize that the events in Acts come after the Resurrection and Ascension of Our Lord.)

So, what is the prediction?
Jesus is speaking to the Jews who are following him: “I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice, and there will be one flock, one shepherd.”

The passage from Acts tells us of a dream that Peter had in which a collection of animals and reptiles considered “unclean” are present to him and a voice commands, “Slaughter and eat.” Peter resists, explaining that nothing unclean has ever touched his lips before. But the voice of the Lord answers, “What God has made clean, you are not to call profane.” This vision occurs three times, “three” being a symbolic number representing perfection and completion.

Because of this vision, Peter is led to a Gentile (=uncircumcised) household, and while he is with them the Holy Spirit descends upon them and Peter comes to realize that God has blessed these Gentiles with the same blessings he has given to the Jewish believers (=circumcised). And so, we see that God is including within his flock those who were previously considered to be unclean outsiders, unworthy of His blessings and grace.

What might we take from this? It seems to me that the action of God’s grace in the world through Jesus Christ is an action of continually including what was previously excluded.

You have to make up your own mind about this, but I have to wonder whether this act of including was a one-time happening, or whether it is something that still continues, that Jesus Christ is continually reaching out to include those who were (or are) excluded by those who consider themselves to be part of his flock.

For myself, I have become aware of how often my mind seeks to exclude others, and when I catch myself doing this, I picture Jesus’ arms extended on the cross in an embrace which includes those whom my own prejudices or pride or self-righteousness almost naturally seeks to exclude.

How about you?


God bless you this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment