Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Monday, May 15, 2017

Seven little words

Monday, May 15, 2017
“I need more grace
than I thought.”
(Rumi)

Sometimes a few simple words from a poem can say something about reality in a way so simple and direct that it causes us to gaze within and realize that, “Yes, that is true about me. Yes, that is true about my life. Yes, that describes the human condition more eloquently than pages of commentary.”

And now that I have said that, how could I possibly say more, except to confess that I am often deluded by prideful thoughts of how far I have come only to then discover that I still have so far to go or that I am actually regressing rather than advancing. And I am reminded not to trust my own thinking especially when it comes to thoughts about my own spiritual journey. My sense of self-reliance is shattered by these few words as I am reminded that all the help I need, all the grace, is not within me but rather comes from outside of me. And yet, perhaps I am saying too much already. I do better, I suspect, to just leave you with those two lines of a divinely inspired poet and let them do their work within you.


God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment