Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Monday, May 1, 2017

Spring breaks through

Monday, May 1, 2017
I offer you a brief personal story today.

This morning, someone did something that annoyed me. In fact, he does it often and it annoys me every time he does it, and I’ve never let him know that because I don’t want to come across as a pain in the neck. It’s not a big thing; in fact, it’s a very little thing. But I get annoyed every time he does it, which is almost every day. And sometimes when he does it and I am under the spell of “being annoyed,” I think unkind thoughts about him. Does this ever happen to you?

But something was different about it today. He did that-thing-which-I- get-annoyed-about, and I looked at it almost from outside of myself, and I noticed the thing, and I also noticed my tendency to get annoyed. But for some reason---call it the grace of the Holy Spirit, if you’d like---today I wasn’t annoyed. I was simply watching the dynamic at play. The action, the habitual response, and now, this new thing: the reality that I could observe it and actually choose to just let it be.

Now he’s probably not going to stop doing that thing. The object of all this is not to change his behavior, after all. The object of all of this is to notice my internal behavior and to find out whether or not I have the option of living in a more loving and tolerant way. That is the ultimate goal, after all, a goal which we should all share in to one extent or another: the ability to choose to live in a more loving and tolerant way.

He’s going to keep doing that thing, so I going to have to keep remembering what happened today and ask God to help me continue growing in a more loving way.

Maybe it was just a May 1 gift. After all, spring is trying to break through, just a little bit of light broke through the clouds that are often in my own life. How about you!


God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment