Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Friday, March 25, 2011

Unhelpful sympathy, helpful sympathy

From that book by Iain Matthew that I cited a couple of weeks ago:
"Sympathy can be ruinous. 'I think it's dreadful--I don't know how you put up with it. No. I really can understand, you must feel awful.   . . . . There is a kind of sympathy that leaves the sufferer exhausted. . . . it is important to respond in the right way . . . not just to console, but to help someone bear pain creatively.'"
IMHO: That's the reason the image of the suffering Christ on the crucifix is so consoling. Don't go around the pain, go through it to the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment