Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Monday, February 22, 2016

David's contrition and God's faithfulness

We continue with our meditation on Psalm 51:10-12 (“Create in me a clean heart . . . “

Today: “Take not your holy Spirit from me”

David was devastated when he realized the seriousness of the sins he had committed. At such a moment, it would be reasonable to think he was thinking of his predecessor, King Saul, from whom God did take his Spirit. David recognized that his own sin was perhaps even more grevious than the sins of Saul, and so he trembled with fear. One commentator suggests that he also thought of Cain, who was cast totally from the Lord (see Gen. 4:14) and also driven from the land he inhabited, destined to become a wander and a vagabond upon the earth.

Tough stuff. Have you ever felt perhaps that because of your own sin God was going to give up on you? Then you can relate with David’s despondency at this moment of his life, the moment when his eyes were open to see the evil he had committed.

Yesterday we looked at “Cast me not away from your presence” and today completes the couplet “and take not your holy spirit from me.”

Don’t forget that It was the Holy Spirit of God that gave David the power to prophesy, and also to compose the beautiful Psalms which are so much of our spiritual heritage. In fact, even at the moment of his greatest despondency, David was praying the very words which would become the psalm we are considering.

Peter also understood that without the Holy Spirit, purity and holiness of heart could not be restored to him and that his prayer “Create in me a clean heart” would not be heard.

Of course the Good news is that the Lord did hear his prayer, and that the Lord did not give up on him. And neither does He give up on us. At another point in the psalms, the Lord says of the descendants of David:

If his sons forsake my law and refuse to walk as I decree . . .
. . . Then I will punish their offenses with the rod . . .
. . . But I will never take back my love:
my truth will never fail.   (Psalm 89:31-34)

We do well to pray Psalm 51 frequently during these days of Lent, realizing that by praying the Psalm we are entering into a spiritual journey. First, serious contrition followed by eloquent prayer for forgiveness which then turns to hope and joy and praise.


God bless you

No comments:

Post a Comment