Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Friday, February 26, 2016

Sin in the soul hurts the body

I am going to turn to the psalms frequently as the days go on, because the words of the psalms are effective invitations to deeper reflection and also to deeper prayer. Psalm 6, which we will consider today, is often called a Psalm of Repentance, of turning back to the Lord. It is in this sense that I read the following:
Return, Lord, rescue my soul. (Psalm 6:5; Grail translation)

Return, Lord: Several days ago we considered how the Lord is always in us and with us, and that when he seems far from us it is often because we have moved away, not Him. In this light, what does it mean to ask the Lord to return? Has the Lord gone away and we beg him to come back to us, or is it rather that we have moved away, and now we wake up and make ready to draw near again?

And how is it that we have moved away? Through sin, perhaps, or through entertaining certain temptations to sin? Or is it simply that our lives have once again gotten so distracted that we have forgotten that every moment of every day, we are walking with God?

And so I suggest that when we pray, Return, Lord, we are actually praying Help me to come back to you. Help me focus my awareness on you once again.

Rescue my soul: Read in the context of Psalm 6, a psalm of repentance for someone racked with guilt, we are asking the Lord to rescue us from bodily and spiritual pain. The Psalmist is sick and discouraged. Different translations say it differently:

Grail translation: Have mercy on me Lord, I have no strength; Lord heal me, my body is racked; my soul is racked with pain.

RSV translation: Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am languishing; O Lord, heal me, for my bones are troubled. My soul is also troubled.

The revised New American Bible (the one used at Masses) is even more dramatic: Have pity on me, Lord, for I am weak; heal me, Lord, for my bones are trembling; in utter terror is my soul.

Notice the close correlation between the state of the soul and the state of the body. Have you found this to be true in your own life at times? Does being in a state of sin have its effect on your own health, your own body?

Conclusion: There are times in all of our lives when our sinfulness has brought us to our knees and we can identify with the words of the psalmist. If this is not such a time in your life, then pray it for someone who is suffering in body, mind or spirit because of guilt. At the same time, however, remember that this is the Year of Mercy, and that the Lord will lift you from your knees and forgive and restore you so that there will be no more pain, no more suffering.

And if necessary, go to confession to get the source of your own pain healed.

God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment