Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Muhammad on forgiveness

There are certain religious teachings that are common to most, if not all, spiritual traditions. An example: God is love. If you search the various traditions you’ll find the same teaching expressed in different ways. The name given for these teachings is perennial wisdom and there are several books available that offer texts and thoughts that are part of this perennial wisdom. One has to be careful, though, because the authors or editors of such books often have a decidedly bias against organized religion. An example: a book I’m reading is entitled Perennial Wisdom for the Spiritually Independent. ('Independent of what?' I have to ask.) As I read the book, which includes many quotations from the Old and New Testaments, I find things that help reinforce my own faith or help my prayer and meditation, and I simply leave the rest behind. (Which is the same thing you should be doing with these reflections: take what touches you and leave the rest.)

Anyway, I found a passage from the writings of Muhammed that touched me so deeply I’ve decided to share it with you. Notice, if you will, that we’ve already spoken about what it has to say, but the passage says it so beautifully that it has been an inspiration to me and perhaps to you as well. Here it is:

“O humans, so long as you call upon Me and ask of Me,
     I shall forgive you for what you have done,
         and I shall not mind.
O humans, were your sins to reach the clouds of the sky
     and were you then to ask forgiveness of Me,
         I would forgive you.
O humans, were you to come to Me
     with sins nearly as great as the earth,
     and were you then to face Me,
       I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great.”

from Sayings of the Prophet Muhammad, quoted in Perennial Wisdom, p. 143



No comments:

Post a Comment