Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Thursday, February 25, 2016

Towards greater peace of mind

The circumstances of our lives are what they are, but there is a wide range of different ways that we can experience or relate to those circumstances. If, for example, we believe that all things are in God’s hands and that He is with us in all things, we are able to remain relatively calm even in the midst of turmoil. Let me give you an example:

A couple of weeks ago I was invited out to lunch by a friend I haven’t seen in a while. I was looking forward to the occasion. But, alas! That morning it started to snow and as the day went on the snow kept getting worse. We had to cancel our luncheon and arrange for a rain-check.

When I was a younger man, I would have been angry at the snow, and angry at my fate. A barrage of negative thoughts would be passing through my mind, and as the day went on, the commentary about my disappointment would have ruined my mood and spoiled any possibility that something good would have come along later in the day. The stronger and more virulent the commentary, the lower my mood.

But now, I look at events differently. It was snowing. We couldn’t go to lunch. God sent the disappointment and I have learned through experience that the best thing to do is simply to surrender to the disappointment and move on. And so I did. End of story. Very little commentary.

When I meditated that evening, the thought about the cancelled luncheon came up as a distraction. I noticed it, returned my attention to my breathing and to the Jesus Prayer, and let the thought pass through me without attaching any commentary at all to it. And the meditation continued. As thoughts or emotions came up, I would let them pass through. If I began commenting about the thoughts or feelings, as soon as I noticed what I was doing, I would stop commenting and return my attention to my breathing. Most of the time the thoughts and emotions would pass.

The moral of the story is that we will always have thoughts and feelings about things that happen in our lives. That isn’t going to change. But what we do with them does change as we grow and evolve. As Martin Laird says, “thoughts and feelings continue to come and go, but our relationship with them changes.” (A Sunlit Absence, p. 18) He continues: “The external circumstances of our lives continue to be whatever they happen to be at any given moment, but now we experience these circumstances differently. (p. 21)

We had lunch a week later and it was a wonderful experience.

God bless you.




No comments:

Post a Comment