Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Monday, November 14, 2016

Help that comes from outside of you

Monday, November 14, 2016
From today’s Gospel passage (Monday of the 33rd week in Ordinary Time):

Jesus is walking by and a blind beggar calls out, “Son of David, have pity on me!” People rebuked him and tried to silence him, but he called out all the more. Jesus heeds his call and approaches him and asks, “What do you want me to do for you?” The beggar asks, “Lord, please let me see.” And his sight is immediately restored. Jesus says to him, “your faith has saved you.” (Luke 18-35-43)

My reflection for today focuses on the two statements in bold print above.

“What do you want me to do for you?”

It is good to replay that question in our heart when we come to prayer. What do you want Him to do for you today? It may take time and reflection to answer this question, for sometimes, we do not know how to ask, and at other times, our faith may be too weak to take into account that He is willing to help us in all things, the mundane as well as the spectacular, and it is often difficult to focus on the mundane. What do I ask for today? I ask for the self-discipline to work my way through my daily tasks, for this is not a high-energy day for me. How about you? What do you want Him to do for you today?

“Your faith has saved you.”

The beggar’s faith is great and persistent and urgent. Even though he is blind, he has been given the grace to realize that the one passing by is the hope of Israel, and even though he is blind, he has been given the grace to beg for pity, and then to ask to have his sight restored. And his faith is praised.

Faith is a theological virtue that comes from God and is poured into our hearts from outside of us. This is important to realize because it is a gift given, not an innate quality or capacity. Don’t protest that your faith is too weak. As for more, and maybe that will be your request for today. The blind beggar, pour and helpless that he was, received a strong infusion of faith which, as Jesus said, ended up saving him and bringing him a further blessing that was not in his power to bestow on himself.

As I ask for self-discipline today, I believe that it is not within me on this particular day; I am asking the Lord to supply what is lacking in me. In doing this, I am following the admonition of Saint Benedict in his Rule: What is not possible to us by nature, let us ask the Lord to supply by the help of his grace. (Prologue, v. 41).

(And, by the way, another thing I ask for repeatedly is that I may be able to see beyond appearances. You  might do well to think about your own personal blindness in making your prayer to the Son of David today.)

Ask.


God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment