Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Friday, November 18, 2016

Surprised by beauty

Friday, November 18, 2016
I walked into my office this morning in a glum mood, wondering what I would write about today, when I was suddenly cut short by the view outside my window. There is an empty field that stretches for about 80 feet. Across from it is a wooded area. The empty field is covered with fallen leaves and the sun is making them glisten. I see browns, yellows, oranges and tufts of green grass poking up among the leaves. How exquisitely beautiful! I stopped, and looked, and savored the beautiful sight for a good chunk of time. I uttered a prayer of thanksgiving for the moment of beauty I had been given. I was pleased with myself that I had opened my eyes to see something beautiful despite the fact that I had originally been in a glum mood. Needless to say, the mood dispersed, and I was even more delighted when I realized that this would be a good topic for a reflection on the last day of the week, yet another example of what it means to be living reflectively. I marvel at God’s creativity, and how it flows over me when I least expect it.

Catch a sight of beauty today
no matter what may be on your mind.
It is a gift to you from a God who loves you
and who invites you to rise above your cares,
above your worries, above your burdens,
even if only for an instant.

Look. Tune up the receptors of your soul,
let the beauty reach you,
hear the music as if for the first time,
close your eyes and smile
just for two seconds,
and breathe deeply.
Give thanks.
Move on, ready for what is to come.
Ready for another reminder
that you are loved.



God bless you. Have a nice weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment