Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Thursday, November 17, 2016

Living Reflectively: 9 points

Thursday, November 17, 2016
Yesterday I wrote about living reflectively without ever defining what that means. And so today I’d like to take up the subject more fully by seeking answers to this question:

What does it mean to live reflectively? I offer you 9 points.

1.       First and foremost it means carving out time for silence and solitude in even the busiest of days. Silence and solitude are necessities, not luxuries.
2.       To live reflectively, we need to be able to see beyond appearances.
3.       To live reflectively, we need to learn control the quick impulses, snap judgments and automatic reactions to things we see or hear or read about.
4.       To live reflectively, we need to nourish our spirits with good reading, music or conversation on a regular basis.
5.       To live reflectively, we need to dialogue internally with the things that happen in our lives. What is this particular event, or disappointment, or insight saying to me right now? Is God speaking to me through this person? What is there for me to learn from all this?
6.       To live reflectively, we need to develop a greater sensitivity to signs of joy or pain in those around us.
7.       To live reflectively, we need to become more honest about our own personal character defects, to learn to recognize when we are speaking or acting out of these defects, and to ask God to help us remove them from our lives.
8.       To live reflectively, we need to increase our capacity to see clearly, to hear what others are sayingthat is, to follow the admonition of St. Benedict to “listen with the ear of our hearts.”
9.       To live reflectively, we need to follow the example of the Blessed Mother who “treasured all these things (=what had been happening in her life) and reflected on them in her heart.” (Luke 2:19)

Perhaps you can add to this list. I would appreciate it if you could send me your own thoughts on the matter, and if I get enough feedback, I will publish what I receive in a later reflection.

God bless you!



No comments:

Post a Comment