Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Open the door

Tuesday, November 15, 2016
Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, then I will enter his house and dine with him and he with me.” (Rev 3:20) (the first reading for Tuesday of the 33rd Week in Ordinary Time)

This promise is being made first to the people of the city of Laodicea who have grown fat and complacent in their wealth. An angel tells St. John to write a letter to them to warn them of impending doom. This is how he accuses them (and perhaps accuses us as well):

You say ‘I am rich and affluent and have no need of anything, and yet do not realize that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.’ (Rev 3:17)

We might meditate on this verse and ask ourselves how we might be wretched, pitiable, poor, blind and naked. Do none of these things apply? If they don’t, perhaps it will be a good idea to take a closer look. I’m a monk in an affluent monastery, and many praise us here, but that puts me in great danger. I must continually reflect on my poverty—that is, on my constant and immediate help from God to rise above my sinfulness and to do whatever it may be that He wants me to do. I must continually reflect on my blindness—how I judge things by appearances far too often, how I cannot see what is beneath even my  most exalted motives. I must see how I am to be pitied, I must admit that although I wear the monastic habit, I am not yet clothed with the pure white garments that are the dress of those who have won the final victory over sin.

Some might bristle at being accused of such things, but I take great comfort in the words of Revelation that follow: Those whom I love, I reprove and chastise. Be earnest, therefore, and repent. (Rev 3:19)

And immediately after being reproved in such a way, the Lord offers us a great promise and blessing, the one I placed at the beginning of this meditation. He is there, knocking at our door and calling out to us. Can we hear him? Can we hear his knock, or be able to listen to his voice above all the other voices that are continually calling out to us? Notice especially that the Christ does not barge in on us: He waits. We are the ones who have to open the door. We have to make that choice.

As it says in the book of Deuteronomy: “Choose life, . . . that you may live, by loving the Lord, your God, heeding his voice, and holding fast to him.” (Dt 30:19-20)


God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment