Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Empty as a cloudless sky

Wednesday, July 5, 2017
“Truly I have set my soul in tranquility and silence.”  (Psalm 131:2)

Every single one of us can benefit from creating more room for tranquility, silence and peace In our lives. It is important to see these things as necessities rather than as luxuries which we have little time for in our busy lives.

I’ve enjoyed some tranquil time during my vacation period and my reading has helped by reminding me just how important (and DESIRABLE) these things are. Over the vacation I had a chance to visit one of my favorite bookstores, tucked away in a hidden corner of the Berkshires in western Massachusetts. Whenever I go there I find at least one book which seemed to be waiting for me to discover it. (Sometimes I think that we don’t necessarily choose a book; the book chooses us, and that is what happened to me during my browsing.)

The book which “found me” is called “The Calm Center: reflections and meditations for Spiritual Awakening” by Steve Taylor.

The following lines from one of his meditations has been drawing me towards moments of contemplation, silence, stillness and peace. Perhaps they will serve you as well:

Let your mind become as empty as a cloudless sky
and as calm as the surface of a lake
until your depths are rich with stillness
and the channel is wide and clear enough
for the secrets to flow through
and reveal themselves to you.

If you can reach this state, even for a brief moment, God will speak to your heart of things which you need so, so much.


God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment