Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Thursday, July 20, 2017

the Cross and the yoke

Thursday, July 20, 2017
Today’s Gospel offers a well-known and tender message from the Lord. (Matthew 11:28-30):

“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy and my burden light.”

This is a contrast, isn’t it, to Jesus’ command for us to “take up your cross and follow Me.” The cross evokes pain and struggle and difficulty, and there aren’t two many people who would have trouble identifying the nature of the cross they carry. And I think that is a good place to start—to be honest and forthright about the way we at times feel crucified and nearly abandoned by God and by others. And I would like to propose to you that we come from that place as we allow the beauty of the Gospel passage today to penetrate our souls. The same Jesus who would at one time cry out, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” today speaks to us in our life situations and says “come to Me.”

So often we take words or passages that are familiar to us and pass them by thinking we know everything they are meant to mean because we have heard them so many times before. And so we have to stop and silence our minds and souls to hear the Lord speak to the very pain of our lives. In this way, we approach the deepest way of learning—the experiential. Jesus Christ speaks to you in your struggle and difficulty, whatever it may be, and he says simply, “Come to me.” Don’t think; rather, experience the call issued to you at this very instance in your own life. “Come to me.”

The translation of Rilke’s poetry* says that “When I paint your portrait, God, nothing happens.” BUT I can choose to feel you.”

Choose to feel him today. Read and reread the passage from the Gospel and allow its words to penetrate more deeply into your soul than ever before. If necessary, take just one small snippet and stay with it. How about “learn from me”---a type of learning that is conducted without words, but rather transmitted with rays of love. Or perhaps picture yourself yoked with Jesus as you take the next step in your struggle.

He says “my burden is light.” Does it feel light to you? If not, call out to heaven and beg that he show you the lightness, the easiness, the rest.

Just a tiny piece of it will be enough for today.

A final verse to day from “Rilke”*:

“All creation holds its breath, listening within me,
because, to hear you, I keep silent.”

God bless you!


*I am finding that as I make my way through my volume of Rilke’s poetry that there are “translations” of his poems that seem to be unique works of art in their own right, poetic art that is more “inspired” by Rilke’s writings, than being a direct translation. The quotes I offer you today are such examples, to be sure. That is also why I put “Rilke” in quotation marks today. Needless to say, I am inspired by the poems that I am reading in English, and, as usual, they send me back to our own scriptures as well. But might we consider that these poems themselves are a form of scripture? I think they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment