Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Moving towards the light

Wednesday, July 12, 2017
From one of Rilke’s “Love Poems to God:”

I want to unfold.
let no place in me hold itself closed,
for where I am closed, I am false.
I want to stay clear in your sight.

Jesus talks about people wanting to hide from the light when it comes. Gospel of John, chapter 3:

“The judgment of condemnation is this: the light came into the world, but men loved darkness rather than light because their deeds were wicked. Everyone who practices evil hates the light; he does not come near it for fear his deeds will be exposed. But he who acts in truth comes into the light, to make clear that his deeds are done in God.”

Yet consider what Jesus says to his disciples in Matthew 5:14: “You are the light of the world.”

So consider these pairs: darkness and light; closed and open; true and false; obscure and clear.

Which are you? Or are you, like me, a mixture of both from time to time?

What I find interesting is that people who claim to have nearly died and come back tend to report an experience of moving towards the light. And that, I think, is what we are all doing, if we so choose, on this side of death as well. The poet Rilke admits implicitly in the lines I quote above that he, too, is a mixture of both closed and open and expresses his yearning for the journey to become more honest, more free, more unencumbered, more clear.

What is your wish? What is your yearning?


God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment