Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Thursday, July 27, 2017

Not loss but liberation

Thursday, July 27, 2017
I remember a time in my life, a time of crisis, when it seemed to me that I was losing everything that I thought made up my identity. I know that it was a time of terrible and heartbreaking pain, but when I think back to that time, I don’t seem to have access to the pain any more, because when I look back, now that years have passed, I realize that what had seemed like a time of great loss actually became a time of liberation. And I have discovered new depths to my being which were unavailable to me before the stripping away took place.

I also remember praying desperately at that time, but I wasn’t praying that the pain would be taken away from me; no, I was praying simply that God would help me get through it. And that is the message of the Cross as well, isn’t it—that the way to salvation isn’t found by getting round the pain, but rather by accepting it and moving through it.

I think of the words Jesus spoke to us: “Whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” (or, as a previous translation says, will discover who he is.”)  (Matthew 10:39)
And I am reminded of something we read from the book of Wisdom, often at a funeral Mass: “their passing away was thought an affliction, and their going forth from us, utter destruction, but they are in peace.” (Wisdom 3:3)
And I also look at the crucifix and realize that the seemingly total destruction of the Lord Jesus Christ was necessary so that He could conquer death by rising from the dead. One of my teachers from the past often reminded us that “Good Friday always leads to Easter Sunday.”
Why do I reflect on these things today? Because I was inspired by a passage I read from the writings of Steve Taylor. (By the way, his little book of meditations is called “The Calm Center” and it is published by the New World Library and I gratefully recommend it to you.) Anyway, this is what I read today from his writings:
“. . . this damage is only superficial,
just to your façade, not your foundation,
and when the debris is cleared away
there will be more space inside
for your essence to shine through.”

God bless you!



No comments:

Post a Comment