Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Tuesday, September 19, 2017

A Lamentation

A Lamentation
                inspired by a conversation with a struggling soul

I wait for God
to clean my house
for I cannot
do it myself
for reasons
I do not understand
and so
I make excuses
and keep putting off
the work
that my soul needs done,
hoping and pleading
for magic and miracle
to sweep me clean
even as I
bring in
even more dust from the streets.
I sing with the Saint
“Not yet! Not yet!”
and another Saint consoles me:
I do not do the good I want,
but the evil I do not want is what I do. (Rom 7:19)
That wretch is a saint!

It’s okay to be a wretch,
for now,
I conclude,
and look to the One
whose mercy
is so much greater
than my messy house.
Thanks be to God
through Jesus Christ our Lord! (Rom 7:25)



No comments:

Post a Comment