Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Reminders in time of trial

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Psalm study today:

Psalm 55. Again, an appeal for protection against enemies. The psalmist’s pain is increased because he has been betrayed by someone who had once been his friend: “If an enemy made taunts against me, I could bear it. If my rival had risen against me, I could hide from him. But it is you, as my equal, my friend, whom I knew so well. . . We walked together in harmony in the house of God.” (v 14-15)

So great is the pain of him who sings this psalm, and there are times when we can share in that pain because we have experienced it ourselves. If we haven’t had such an agonizing experience, we can at least pray for someone who is writhing in pain at the very moment we pray the psalm.

The one who cries out in pain does so continually, placing his hope in God who he believes will hear him.

As for me, I will cry to God,
and the Lord will save me.
Evening, morning, and at noon,
I will  cry and lament,
and he will hear my voice.
He will redeem my soul in peace
in the attack against me. (17-19a)

God always brings us to peace, sometimes very quickly, or sometimes after an extended period of timing. But peace is God’s aim for us. Perhaps you remember the songs of Advent which name Jesus as the “Prince of Peace.” (from Isaiah the prophet).

Here is yet one more affirmation of faith, one which we have come to know in our own journeys:

Entrust your cares to the Lord,
and he will support you.
He will never allow
the just man to stumble. (v. 23)

Why is it, I wonder, that we need to be reminded of that so often, that sometimes when the going gets rough we might momentarily forget that God is indeed holding us up, here and now, in this place and in this particular circumstance? I am grateful to God for sending me so many gentle assurances, day by day, especially when I read and pray the psalms.

How about you?


God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment