Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Sunday, September 20, 2015

Conversation about not judging

I had a conversation yesterday with a student about my recent reflections and I’d like to share it with you here. Happy Sunday!

B: Were the reflections about contemplation and mindfulness helpful to you?

S. Yes. I like the thought of letting things be as themselves. Undisturbed existence without classification or association.

B. Good. I’m glad you grasped them. Now the trick is to do the same thing with people.

S. That’s difficult, especially on campus. I always label people by what they are associated with. I feel like associations and entanglements with people really characterize them.

B. Well, I wonder what would happen if every once in a while you caught yourself doing that and put your assessment on hold? It’s very difficult. It takes a lot of self-awareness.

S. That would certainly be a start. I don’t think I could immediately drop all assumptions. I would definitely have to ease into it. I’m very externally aware but often I lose touch with myself.

B. It’s a life-long process. Just this morning I caught myself doing the same thing. A was at a meeting and someone said something that I didn’t agree with. My immediate reaction was to “label” the speaker in a negative way (what a jerk!). But then I set that aside and ended up with a completely different outlook about things and how he was actually making an important contribution to the discussion.

S. It is very very difficult and sometimes I reflect my personality based upon this association or assumption.

B. Most people do that all the time. They never get to see things as they really are. But once you realize that process you move to a higher state of relationship with what’s around you. And you have already begun!


No comments:

Post a Comment