Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Hidden faults

Note: there will be no reflection tomorrow.

From Psalm 119, verses 13- 14 (the psalm for the 26th Sunday in Ordinary Time):

But who can detect all his errors?
from hidden faults acquit me.
From presumption restrain your servant
and let it not rule me.

The second line of these verses might cause us to wonder: “So what is this? I try so hard to be good, at least some of the time, and you tell me that there are still hidden faults?”

And the answer is, “Yes.” Sometimes it takes years and years of ruthless honesty and self-examination to become aware of faults and weaknesses of character that it seems everyone else already knows about. Think of it yourself: haven’t you become an expert about the faults of certain people in your life, or a certain group, or those who hold a certain view of things, but yet are very willing to give yourself the benefit of a doubt when it comes to your possible peccadillos?

We all have, and that is why Jesus warns us to make sure we tend to the beam in our own eyes before taking care of the speck in someone else’s eye. Yes indeed, Lord, from presumption restrain your servant. Don’t let my arrogance and my self-righteous cloud my vision and poison my spirit. Restrain me, O Lord, if I tend sometimes to be like the Pharisees.


I love the verse, “From hidden faults acquit me.” I use it as a constant reminder not to take myself too seriously. I return to it when I catch myself casting a suspicious eye on others. Sometimes I can’t even see my own faults, so how dare I presume to be knowledgeable about the condition of another’s soul?

No comments:

Post a Comment