Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Monday, September 21, 2015

Faith-filled music

This morning I was playing an organ chorale by J.S. Bach based on an old Lutheran hymn “If thou but suffer God to guide thee.” (Wer nur den lieben Gott lasst walten). Here’s the text of the hymn:

If thou but suffer God to guide thee and hope in him through all thy ways,
He’ll give thee strength, whatever betide thee, and bear thee through the evil days.
Who trusts in God’s unchanging love builds on a Rock that naught can move.

It’s an intricate piece of music put together with the inspired craftsmanship of a great and faith-filled composer. There are two major little musical figures (called motifs) that are heard repeatedly through the chorale. Both are highly symbolic, and they are intertwined together. The first motif is FAITH. The second one is the most interesting because it signifies OVERWHELMING JOY.

Put the motifs together with the text and it is as if Bach were saying, “The times are rough. My faith is strong. God is with me and his love never fails. Therefore, despite the trials and difficulties of the moment, I am filled with joy. Thank you, Lord, for the faith that undergirds my joy.”


I thought about these themes as I was playing the music and suddenly realized that the Lord had provided me with excellent material for my daily reflection. And so you have it. Have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment