Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Decluttering: a spiritual perspective

My room in the monastery is very cluttered. I simply have too much stuff. (Or is it that the stuff has me? hmmmm……) Anyway I finally got to the point where I couldn’t stand it any more. So for the past several weeks, a couple of times a week, I’ve set to eliminating some of the clutter. Boxes of books were donated to the college library, and bags of trash have been filled and discarded.

And I began to notice something: whenever I look at a space or shelf in the room which has been cleared of clutter, I actually take pleasure in the sight of it. I feel like I’m getting free from things which have been weighing me down.

Several books are available nowadays about de-cluttering or simplifying you life. I’ve read none of them, yet even the titles have somehow served to give me this inspiration to simplify and purge, or cleanse.

Interestingly enough, I have also noticed that my prayer is getting more focused, and that I am less easily distracted during the Divine Office or during times of meditation. Might there be a connection between what I’m doing in my room and what happens during prayer time?

Well, just this morning I read something which proves that there is indeed a connection. It’s from The Art of Prayer which I’ve mentioned in a few posts lately. A couple of these things may be quite challenging. Take what you are ready for, and leave the rest for another time.

The spirit is quenched by distraction of the attention from God and God’s works, by excessive anxiety about earthly matters, by indulgence in sensual pleasure, by pandering to carnal desires, and by infatuation with material things. (p. 149) . . .

If you have filled your mind with earthly things, if you have given yourself up to the cares of daily business, you have already quenched the Spirit.

From the first moment of the awakening of the spirit by grace, man’s consciousness and yearning pass from the creation to the Creator, from the earthly to the heavenly, from the temporary to the eternal. In this realm lies his treasure, and there is his heart. (p. 151)

And finally, a wonderful quotation from the Letter to the Colossians. We sing these verses as an antiphon frequently during the season of Easter:


Since you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth, for you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. (Col 3:1-2)

God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment