Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Monday, April 11, 2016

Replacing vain and empty thoughts

“Do not work for food that perishes but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you.” (John 6:27)

It occurred to me recently that a lot of the thoughts I think—indeed, most of the thoughts I think—are nothing more than wasted words amounting to nothing, leading nowhere and accomplishing no purpose at all. In fact, most of them are in the service of things that perish, things that feed my ego (which is itself an illusion) and things that in the grand scheme of things are absolutely not important and have no value in and of themselves. Have you found the same thing to be true?

I also discovered during these first few days of the Easter season, that there are thoughts I can think that actually do endure for eternal life. Most of them are simple phrases and verses that come to mind if I set my sights on the things of God, on the things that matter. I’ll give you a short list here:

·         O God come to my assistance; O Lord, make haste to help me.
·         Jesus, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
·         Hail Mary, full of grace.
·         Guide me, Lord.
·         Help me, Lord: I can’t but You can.
·         Jesus, Mary and Joseph, pray for me.
·         Christ is risen, alleluia!
·         He has come to set me free.

The first of them is the verse we use to begin every hour of prayer in the monastery. It is also a favorite mantra of St. John Cassian. Of all of them, however, my favorite is the second one, the one known as the Jesus Prayer.

If you take any one of these phrases, or another one of your own choosing, and repeat it to yourself during your time of meditation, or during short moments of prayer, what you will discover is that once you’ve said it enough, it will begin to come to your mind automatically and lead you away from vain and useless thoughts to a special place of prayer where God is with you intensely and you are in tune with Him and you will know that He is risen and He is guiding you “into the way that leads to peace.”

Peace be with you this day.


No comments:

Post a Comment