Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Such wonderful knowledge

“I will not reject anyone who comes to me.” John 6:37 (NAB translation)

The literal Greek says, “I will not cast out outside,” which seems a lot stronger to me. It’s one thing to turn one’s back on someone or refuse to acknowledge him; it’s another thing altogether to  make the effort to cast aside one who comes to you in need seeking mercy and pardon.

But Jesus will not do that to us, we who have come to Him. It is also important to note that the reason we have come to Him is because we have been given to Him by the Father. We are God’s gift to Jesus.
Me? You? That man who lives down the street whom I have already condemned in my thoughts?” He may also be God’s gift to Jesus, and although there might be some among us who would like to see him cast out from our company, he is one of us. And it is Jesus who has included him. So be on the watch for any malicious thoughts which may seek to undo what God has done in Christ.

But let’s think about ourselves for a moment or two. Can we truly realize that we have been given to Jesus, and that He has accepted us, despite anything---despite everything. All I can do is cry out the words of Psalm 138: This knowledge is too wonderful for me, so far beyond my understanding.

We are in the realm of extraordinary mystery here. At least one spiritual writer has indicated that we have in this mystery all the reason in the world to be overcome with joy. Jesus will not reject us, and according to His very own words, He will raise us up on the last day and give us eternal life.

Pray today that the knowledge of this mysterious and wonderful reality may affect your disposition, your attitude and your dealings with all whom you meet.

I’ll close by giving you a personal tidbit: Someone did something last night that really aggravated me. I was in a good disposition so I noted what had happened, noticed that I was aggravated, and then let it pass through me. But in light of what I have just written here, now I can “cast it far from my sight” and continue to love the other person, because in the grand scheme of things, none of what happened last night matters in the least. Alleluia!


God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment