Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Monday, April 25, 2016

The Divine Teacher

We continue exploring the Psalms, looking for descriptions of how God cares for us. We are still in Psalm 18, which is a psalm pleading for help against our enemies. The enemies mentioned in the Psalm are actual war-time enemies who were attacking David. In modern times, each of us has to identify who are our own personal enemies—which temptations, weaknesses, tricks of the devil—wage war against us.

Our last study ended with verse 20 of the Psalm: He saved me because he loved me. We continue reading the Psalm:

You, O Lord, are my lamp,
my God who lightens my darkness.
With you I can break through any barrier,
with my God I can scale any wall. (vv 29-30)
·         Imagine yourself walking through a dense forest on a dark night, holding a flashlight. The flashlight helps us to see the next couple of steps we have to take, but nothing more. That is an example of how God shows us the way(s) we must travel.
·         It is up to each of us to identify the barriers and the walls that are before us, and turn to the God who does such things for us as a sign of His love and caring.

. . . you upheld me, trained me with care.
For gave me freedom for my steps;
my feet have never slipped. (vv. 36-37)
·         What are the means by which the Lord trains us? Note the care of the Divine Teacher.
·         How are we free today that wasn’t perhaps true a year ago?
·         When are those moments of confidence in our lives, moments when we knew we were standing firm in the Lord’s grace?

The next psalm contains a beautiful set of verses which draw a portrait of God the Teacher that we noted above. Here are just a few of the qualities of this “teaching” that are operative in our lives—if we allow them:

The law of the Lord is perfect,
it revives the soul.
The rule of the Lord is to be trusted,
it gives wisdom to the simple.

The precepts of the Lord are right,
they gladden the heart.
The command of the Lord is clear,
it gives light to the eyes.  (Psalm 19, vv 8-9)

So in them your servant finds instruction;
great reward is in their keeping. (v. 12)
·         What is required of us is humility and docility. We must be in a spiritual state where we are open and willing to be instructed by God through whatever means he uses in our lives. The resistant gain nothing. It is the humble, attentive student who is cared for so richly.

This meditation on the role of God the Teacher calls to mind (for me) the opening of the Rule of Saint Benedict:

Listen carefully, my son, to the master’s instructions, and attend to them with the ear of your heart. This is advice from a father who loves you; welcome it and faithfully put it into practice.  (Prologue, verse 1)

If you have a chance this day, you would do well to read all of Psalm 19 for your own lectio divina, keeping St. Benedict’s invitation to heart. You will be blessed.

God bless you.


No comments:

Post a Comment