Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Saturday, April 16, 2016

Where else can we go?

Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. (John 6:68)

Think of all the people, places, groups, ideologies, systems of thought, philosophies, movements, causes, gurus, demagogues, private notions, suggestions by others, and so on. Think of what they offer to you. Think of what they have to say.  Has anyone, anywhere, spoken to you the way Jesus Christ has spoken to you, has spoken to us, has spoken to the world?

Does anyone else offer the words of eternal life, or even believe that there is such a thing. And I’m not talking about some cloudy notion that we “live on” in the hearts and minds of those who love us, or that we become absorbed in some great conglomeration of ghostly souls and spirits. I’m talking about actual words of eternal life. You will live forever. You will never die.

Has anyone else prayed for you in such a way: “Father, I desire that those . . . whom you have given me may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world?” (John 17:24)

So I ask you this: if He is the only one, then what holds you back from giving yourself completely to His care and His love, and stop worrying about the future, or about the trivial things in life that steal so much spiritual energy from us?

Simply rest in the NOW. Know now that He is getting you ready for life without end, and that this reality is more beautiful, more hopeful, more powerful than any other “reality” we might hang on to.

I look forward to the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come. (The Nicene Creed).

Believe in Him. Follow Him, even when the way He indicates for us to travel is mysterious and difficult. Even then.


God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment