Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Peace in times of trial and turmoil

Continued notes and reflections from the booklet Reflecting on the Serenity Prayer by Philip St. Romaine.

“Spiritual peace . . . is not the absence of problems.”

The worldly peace we are so conditioned to cling to quickly disappears when problems arise on the surface and we begin to think, “I’ll be at peace as soon as this particular problem is settled.” It is short-lived and can quickly be taken away from us by persons, circumstances and inner moods and dispositions. We seek peace where there is no lasting peace.

Before being spiritually enlightened, a man thinks he may attain peace through his own efforts: peace when he is successful, peace when he attains a certain stature in the eyes of others, peace through power and security. But we only have to take a look at the world around us to see that none of these things lead a man to peace. Spiritual peace is another thing altogether. It is a gift from the Lord, and is not something that we can logically explain or analyze. “Peace I give you, my peace I leave with you.” says the Lord. “Not as the world gives peace do I give it.” (John 14:27)  The Letter to the Philippians speaks of the peace of God which surpasses all human understanding (4:7) James doesn’t explicitly speak of peace, but he does speak of difficulties and calamities and trials that occur in live and tells us to suffer them with joy: My brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it nothing but joy, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2-4)

What James has to say gives us at least a bit of understanding of what spiritual peace is. I would put it this way: “Yes, I am suffering through this particular trial, but God’s peace is with me and is not disturbed, because in His wisdom I know that good will come about as a result of what is happening right now in my life. In this predicament I am being watched after, and will get through it, and will benefit from it in a way which I can’t possibly understand right now.” That would be a statement of a person who is in touch with spiritual peace, and I can tell you it is true because I can attest to its truth by telling you that it has occurred in my own experience, and more than once.

If you would like to grasp more of this type of peace, I recommend that you read Transitions: making sense of life’s changes; strategies for coping with the difficult, painful and confusing times in your life by William Bridges. Bridges is in touch with the type of peace we’re discussing here.

How do we gain this type of peace? Through being completely open to God’s action in our lives, by nurturing a faith which is undergirded with a trust that God is, at all times, working things out for our good. All shall be well was the message that Julian of Norwich received in a vision, and that phrase is a gift to us to be used especially during those times when all does not seem to be well. Never forget that there is a different dimension of reality that operates beyond the day-to-day struggles of life. Therein you can find your peace.


God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment