Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Spiritual Serenity

Coming back to the monastery after time away is like slipping into a pair of comfortable shoes. The rhythm of the life, which connects us to a regular prayer regimen, helps us to “switch modes” gently but quickly, and settle into the life anew with renewed vigor.

I find it difficult—no, impossible, to maintain my connection with God when I’m away for a length of time. There are so many distractions in the “outside world,” and I generally fall prey to them. I came away from vacation with a new respect for you who are working at your spiritual growth and well-being in a world filled with “stuff,” all stuff that makes it so easy to lose your connection with God, even for a time. I pray that you have established some sort of anchor to hold your day together, and to give you the peace which you long for—not the peace of the world, but rather the peace of the spirit.

As I return from vacation I decided I would like to do some simple reading, and I have settled on a little booklet called Reflecting on the Serenity Prayer by Philip St. Romain (Ligouri Press) for my lectio for now. The book is simple, but also profound, and I found something right in the beginning chapter to share with you about spiritual peace.

Spiritual peace is the experiential realization that, amidst the pain and brokenness of our lives, all is well. Our lives are unfolding as they should if we are seeking to walk in union with God. Spiritual peace is the experience of our connection with God whose reign already exists in heaven, even though it has not yet been fully established on earth. Serenity is a taste of heaven on earth: through it, we experience the Spirit of God dwelling in our hearts, giving us the energy to stand on our own two feet and break free from the need to succeed, to impress, to gain power, or to have security.
Such peace is the foundation of true love and joy, enabling us to give of ourselves with no thought other than the joy of seeing another grow.  (p. 4)

The next few reflections will be based on this quotation (God willing).


God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment