Spirituality for Beginners

Fr. Bede's almost-daily reflections. When it comes to the spiritual life, we're all beginners. I also send these out by email. Contact me at bcamera@anselm.edu. God bless!





Thursday, June 23, 2016

What do we truly desire?

Psalm 37, third reflection
“he will give you your heart’s desire” or “he will give you the desires of your heart” (v. 4b)
Referring back to yesterday, the first part of this verse is “commit your life to the Lord.”

It is true that when we commit our lives to the Lord, He showers us with blessings. (Mark 10:30 says that we receive persecutions besides, and all we have to do is consider the lot of the Christians in the Middle East to see how true that is.) But I would like to reflect a bit more on this notion that He will give us “the desires of our hearts.”

Do we even know that those true desires are? I don’t think we always know for sure, and I know from experience that it takes a lot of self-scrutiny and silence and meditation and prayer for us even to get close to the “heart” of things. This side of the grave, we poor creatures live in an almost constant state of delusion, as if a veil is over our eyes and we see dimly if at all. Consider your own history: how many times have you discovered that what you held to be right and true and good for you turns out to be false in the light of present knowledge and experience.

A very recent example: Earlier this week I was praying for some particular favor. I didn’t receive what I was praying for. After discussing it with a couple of friends, I came to realize that I was deluded in even asking in the first place. “What was I thinking of?” I ask myself now. I am far better off not having what I asked for. At the time I asked, I was convinced it would be a good thing. In retrospect, I can see how I was mistaken—deluded, if you will. In refusing my prayer, God, in His wonderful way, had my back. He was looking out for what was best for me. And now I realize that He has given me the true desire of my heart, which is to live with a measure of peace that the request wouldn’t have given me—in fact, it risked bring turmoil into my life.

All this, and it was just a little thing, or so I thought when I asked. Can you relate to this?

The Hebrew word for heart is not referring to an organ in the chest. It refers to the very inner essence of a person, the seat of the self—the true self, not the false self that we so often live out of. And that is why it takes time and patience and grace and struggle to grasp.

One thing I do know: when we commit our lives to the Lord, our lives begin to change, to become transformed into something we never could have imagined before we turned to the Lord. And what we discover as we live through this process of constant transformation is that things are what we actually desired all along.

The French mystic Jean-Pierre de Caussade, in his classic work Self-abandonment to Divine Providence, says that God doesn’t mind disappointing us. We want to sail in one direction and he changes the winds to come from the other direction. But in the end, he brings us “safely to port.” If we had gotten to where we think we wanted to go, we would have suffered ship-wreck. (By the way, this is a book that I highly recommend you read, or reread every couple of years, particularly when things aren’t going the way you thought you wanted.)


God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment